Search This Blog

Monday, December 19, 2011

Music and Philosophy: Final Musings of the Semester

This is the final official music and philosophy blog of the semester. I do plan to continue with the blog however even after the semester is over, so if you are still interested in music and philosophy, check back once in awhile.
I agree with what Johnson said at the end of class today about blogging and I wish I had blogged more often—I just get a bit absentminded every now and then. I hope everyone saw the blog posts not directly called music and philosophy but included music and philosophy. They are all under the Music and Philosophy blog page. In addition, I hope you all checked out the existential blog post about music and zombies—the link can be found on the same page as the rest of the MP stuff. I will miss the class and all the fun conversations and unfortunately, I will not be in Lit and Phil with Johnson but I will certainly be in his Epistemology class next fall as well as Paul’s existentialism class. Like with the other holidays, I will leave you with some Christmas music suggestions. There are so many in various genres so I will just list a few:
The Heavy metal version of Must be Santa by Paincakes
O Tannenbaum and Christmas Time Is Here by Vince Guaraldi
There are so many others but I need to post this blog so I can go to dinner and pack.
“So much time and so little to do. Wait, strike that…reverse it.”
Music is like art, music is a type of art so I guess music is art, not like art….what I mean is that both terms are hard to define and pin down. We know that a cookie is not music. The cookie could be used to make music but the cookie itself is not. Like with art in general, I think the best way to define music is have an open definition to allow for future innovations but at the same time a definition that can conclusively say what is not and should never be music. I think I started a good framework of a definition like this in my last QA, which is also accessible on this blog, again simply go to the music philosophy page. I will also post my book review today or tomorrow for whoever is interested.
Thank you all for the great discussions and a great semester. I look forward to seeing any of you in my classes in the spring. I can easily say you are all creative talented thinkers and artists of various kinds and I wish you all a wonderful break, a safe journey to and from, and a Happy Hanukkah, Happy Yule and Winter Solstice, Merry Christmas, Happy Kwanzaa, and a Happy New Year!
Feel free to continue checking out the blog. I plan to work more on the philosophy side over break, talk more on art, zombies, politics, film, books, and anything else I think I should post.
Goodnight and Good luck
Dasvidaniya

No comments:

Post a Comment