Search This Blog

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Film Reviews: Christmas Edition 4: Surviving the Holidays with Lewis Black

So these Christmas film reviews all seem to be somewhat on the short side and this one definitely will be. Most times, it is because everyone already knows the story and plot or has seen it before meaning I am going to start reviewing them as if no one has seen them. However, even if I do that with this particular one, it will still be short because there is not much to say about Surviving the Holidays with Lewis Black.
This film is not a movie per se (though it is movie length at about an hour and a half) but more like part documentary, part stand-up comedic act, and part history lesson like those shows, programs and specials you see on the History Channel all time. This part makes a lot of sense as the film was released for the and thru the History Channel.
This film is easy to sum up and give an opinion on without the danger of giving anything at all away because there really is not anything to give away in the first place. That sounds like this film sucks but it does not. I wish I had the DVD jacket to type out the summary on the back of it on here because I do not want this blog to be too simple, short, and boring. Unfortunately, though I own the film and it is with me, the jacket is back at home. Since I have such a large collection of DVD’s, I have them in easy and convenient DVD cases, which you can find on Amazon here:

The film goes thru the Holidays of Thanksgiving, Chanukah, Christmas, Kwanza, New Years Eve, and everything in between. The film is mostly comedians sharing their opinions on various holiday issues. It also includes people like authors, historians, and a psychologist.
The whole thing is very lighthearted and funny as hell as well as educational. It is entertaining and I guarantee a good time to be had by all who watch it.
As far as comedy goes, I give it a 3.75 out of 5, as far as educational goes, I rate it as about 2.9 out of 5. Overall, I give it 4 out of 5.

I promise to try to make these Christmas film reviews more interesting and entertaining. It is going to be hard to do that with the very well known movies, which I plan to review because I love and own them but I will do my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment