Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Film Reviews: My Name is Khan

 “My name is Khan, and I am not a terrorist”

I just got done watching one of the greatest movies I have ever seen and that is saying something. There is so much I want to say about the film I just hope to remember to say everything. In addition, I really do not know where to start…I guess with some sort of introduction. Sorry, I am still thinking about the film and trying to organize these thoughts.
Ok, My Name is Khan is a Bollywood film, and like all Bollywood films it is a longer than the average film (clocking in at 2 hours and 41 minutes) and has at least one musical montage and one scene where someone is dancing, even if it is for a few seconds. However, the length is not problem—and this is coming from someone with ADHD. You hardly notice 3 hours have passed by because the film is so compelling and entertaining. Every minute of this film has you either laughing, crying, or clenching your fists. For those of you, who do not like subtitled movies, fear not, the movie is primarily English; however, at least a third of the film is not.
The film follows the exploits of a Muslim man with aspergers (a higher functioning type of autism) in much the same style of Forrest Gump, except this is much better (and I like Forrest Gump), named Rizvan Khan. Most of the film does not take place in the present but rather in linear flashbacks following important events of Khan’s life that led up to his trek across the country. He is trying to meet the President (Bush) to say to him “Hello. My name is Khan, and I am not a terrorist”. I know when I do these reviews I usually have a less obvious quote from the film; however, this is the most important line in the whole film. He seeks to do this because his wife told him to. The reason his wife told him to do this is after a hate crime that I will not give away, his wife, angry, depressed, and distraught, yells to him to go tell the President he is not a terrorist.
This all is related to the events of 9/11 and all that followed.
The flashbacks are of Khan as a child and the wonderful and important lessons she taught him, his coming to America to work for his brother, falling in love with a hairdresser, and being the best father he could be.
I guess it is easier to talk about bad films because there is always so much to complain about. I thought I would have more to say about this movie and I do have more, I just thought the review would be longer.
There are so many messages and themes going on but none of them distract from each other. There is the theme of course of understanding the mentally ill and that they are still people not to be feared and that in some cases they are better people than the rest of the world. There is the message of tolerance and acceptance of those who are different because of race, religion, etc. This all relates to the main overarching theme of being less judgmental, more tolerant and understanding, and less hateful. Another message is to help ones fellow human being when he\she need it.
The music in the movie was more often than not effective. However, there were times that it just felt out of place. The cinematography is brilliant. The use of camera angles and lightly worked well. Also the acting was wonderful, even the kid actors did good jobs. Especially, Shah Rukh Khan (Rizvan Khan) who does a tremendous performance of someone with that type of aspergers. It is a realistic and positive portrayal of a someone who has this developmental disability.

Now I want to go a little off track and talk about some of the more serious aspects and messages of the film and greater detail. If you would like to just know how I rate the film, just scroll down to the end.

There is one thing I would like to talk about—the thinking that Islam is the most violent religion in the world. At one point in the film, after 9.11, a teacher actually says this to her class. I would like to take a moment to debunk this myth.
Nowhere in the Quran does it say to kill innocents by the thousands. My point is that it is not part of most sects of the religion to support the wholesale murder of people regardless of those people’s beliefs and opinions. Islam is a branch of the same tree that Christianity and Judaism are branches of. Allah is just another word for God—the same God I might add, that is referred to in the Tanakh (the first half of the Bible) as well as in the Gospels (the second part of the Bible). Like all religions, Islam has its extremists. In fact, if one really wanted to define the most violent religion on Earth, I am sad to say that it would be my own, Christianity (in general). Christianity is not supposed to be a violent religion, but a religion of peace, just like Islam and a great many other religions. However, people blinded by their own petty opinions of people use the name of God, and passages for the Bible to justify the horrible things that they do. Just as the terrorists of 9.11 did this, so have countless Christians. I can even paint a picture of events and groups fronted by Christians. Off the top of my head I can think of: The Holocaust, the Crusades, the Salem Witch Trials, the Spanish Inquisition, the witch hunts of Western Europe, the Ku Klux Klan, the Christian Fundamentalists who blow up abortion clinics and murder doctors who perform abortions—just to name a few. I am ashamed to call myself a Christian when people calling themselves Christians to horrible things like these. It is so hypocritical to be so hateful and violent and then call yourself a Christian. An old Christian hymn is titled “They Will Know We are Christians by our Love”. My point is that just because people do things or say things in the name of their religion, does not mean they speak for every member of that faith or for the original meanings, intents, and purposes, of those groups. They certainly do not speak for me.

I hope the above paragraph did not offend anyone. If I have gotten any facts wrong, please leave a comment on this page and I will fix it post haste. If I have offended anyone who is a member of the violent groups for calling you ignorant, arrogant, or hypocrites, that is just my opinion of you. What else would you call someone who claims to be a member of a faith that professes love and peace who goes out being cruel to people?
I am more concerned with potentially offending the people I am trying be on the same page with. So if I have, tell me ASAP. It is possible I phrased something badly so that even though my intentions are good, what I have said could be perceived as bad
The film was fantastic. It had thrills, chills, scares, drama, comedy, romance, and even a bit of action. Like I said the film made me cry, laugh, and clench my teeth. The film has everything, from several socio-political messages and invoking several emotional states to great acting and cinematography. With its length and its plot, it is more like an en epic tale than a film! I have fallen in love with this film and will be purchasing it the next chance I get. I give this film 6 out of 5 stars—and do not tell me that is impossible, I do not care—the movie is just that awesome. Thank you Hawa for showing this to us.


No comments:

Post a Comment